Tuesday, July 24, 2007

IS WEMA SEPETU (MISS TANZANIA 2006/7) A SLUT?


WEMA SEPETU (Miss TZ)
WAS SHE WORTH IT? AND WHAT ABOUT TID AND THE NEGATIVE PRESS?
Everyone has been talking about Wema Sepetu. But mostly it’s the negative part of her.It's the men that she either dates,has had a fling with or has been romantically linked too that has made her cannon fodder of the press. She is the current and outgoing Miss Vodacom Tanzania 2006/07 and she won it because she had what it took to. Like her or hate her, Wema Sepetu is not stopping at what’s being said about her but rather focused on proving her critics, pundits, haters and worst wishers that she rightfully deserved the coveted beauty title. She poured all her fuss on haters, tabloids, and stalkers and a lot more to Showbiz writer George Otieno.
Exquisite, slim- shady, focused, winsome smile, soft-spoken, trendy and down to earth best describe Wema Isaac Abraham Sepetu. Did I mention her intelligence side; she’s bright as well and publicity shy. It’s over half an year since being crowned Vodacom Miss Tanzania and Wema has had it rough, rougher that it has taken a lot of counseling, understanding to bear the pain. Tabloids, stalkers, haters and threats from known to unknown quarters have been haunting her modeling career, beauty title and silent life to an extent of making her loose peace.
Local R n B musician T.I.D,Film Director Ben Kanumba,Mr. Blue and a former C.E.O of a leading mobile service provider firm have all been linked to this beauty queen. T.I.D could not resist Wema’s charm and has had to ‘holla’ many times but without success. T.I.D doesn’t want to take Wema’s ‘NO’ for an answer for his daily stalks to her. This has been the daily news making headlines in local tabloids and making the beauty queen loose her cool. But is it true? ‘I know T.I.D as top in Dar and nothing else. This is all rumors, I haven’t dated nor done anything passionate with him as he has claimed. T.ID has been a friend and NOT a close or special friend. He has made advances to me and asked me out severally but I turned him down,’Wema recounts. She continues that T.I.D has been telling her crazy things and even wanted to introduce her to his parents. She even once confronted the musician after he went live on airwaves admitting that they had a fling while in South Africa. ‘I asked him and he admitted to having said it. But he said he did it for his fans but he kept on insisting it was for his fans. I told him he was lowering my dignity and had a title to protect, ‘she recounts.
She has had to change her cell phone numbers so many times. Reason being, she couldn’t take the threats she kept receiving lightly. ‘Strange people with names like ‘Kalapina’ have been threatening me and even asking me to load up their phones with air-time. Some texts like ‘Unajifanya unajua, tutakufanyia tunachomfanyia Salama.Tutakutumia Kikosi cha mizinga wakabiliane na wewe’ (We will do to you what we usually do to Salama. We’ll send you Kikosi cha mizinga) have been getting into my phone,’she claims. Despite all this threats, Wema kept her lips tight locked and never let her mom know about it save for her sister.
Every bright day she thinks she’s lucky; a tabloid has tainted her image. Besides the grueling Tanzanian tabloids has been some radio and TV that have been unfair or settling scores with her. A local TV presenter once went live and said she was dating Hip-hop musician Mr. Blue. She even went ahead and placed Wema’s photo alongside Mr. Blue. This not only made big news but also spoiled her repute as a miss and also soiled her affair with her parents. ‘I call Mr. Blue, Heri and I’ve known him times back as he was dating Wahida who was a very close friend of mine. Heri, Noorah and Mwana FA have been my friends and they even called me when I was a contestant while they were in Zanzibar for FIESTA. I can’t date Mr. Blue, ‘she adds.
Another issue that has really dogged Wema is her age. Rumor had it that she was sixteen by the time she was contesting for the Miss Tanzania title. It was really an issue that even after winning the title, some people were pursuing her former school, home and other sources to ascertain her real age. ‘I was born on the September 28, 1988.When I was contesting Miss Tanzania I was like 17 years plus and this raised a lot more queries. I turned eighteen when I was in the Miss World pageant in China and I celebrated my birthday there, ‘she recalls.
But why does she have so many haters? Wema doesn’t understand why it happens. ‘They simply don’t know me and have know reason to. I’m the sweetest person ever. They’ve judged me wrongfully and maybe because I take everybody at the same level and I don’t pretend,’ she adds. She says she cannot change her demeanor because of the Miss title but will remain the same home girl.
The worst news to ever have affected Wema was that which appeared in the local tabloids and said she had gone missing and was at Kempinski hotel with a top company Managing director. ‘The funny part was that I was at home and they said I was with him at Kempinski while he was in South Africa, ‘she sadly recounts.
But how does her parent’s react to all this issues that continue to surround Wema’s life? ‘It’s been really hard and hectic for her. They keep asking whether all the allegations and negative press is true. Her parents are now coming to terms about it and knowing that’s it’s all because of her celebrity status, ‘she says. But her parents aside, her boyfriend has been not easy towards her at all. The bevy of celebrities threatens him after his love. ‘I have had to explain several times that what’s in the tabloids is utter lies. We’ve fought a lot over this but fortunately all is well but it’s been rough for me as well.’ she says.
Judge her in a negative way, accuse her falsely or disfigure Wema’s personality, you’ll definitely annoy her. True to herself, she has maintained her character, self and persona even after being declared Tanzania’s most beautiful woman. ‘Many expected me to change and drop my friends and choose others. I can’t do that because of the crown,’ she insists.
Before winning Miss Tanzania, Wema traces her way back as long and really trying. She least expected to win the title. She came first runners-up in Miss Indian Ocean, then again same position in Miss Kinondoni before joining other contestants for the final pageant. She got her experience, confidence and runaway persona from Miss Indian Ocean, which was her first pageant to contest. Wema expected to win Miss Kinondoni but lost it. ‘I was so good in everything, I mean, the catwalk, intelligence, talent, confidence and the other requisites. I badly wanted that car but anyway it’s all God’s will I still won that of Miss Tanzania,’ she says.
She lost her morale after loosing the Miss Kinondoni title and were it not for her mum, Wema was never going for the finals. She went to the Miss Tanzania camp but never up beat but just for the sake of it. ‘I was doing it but with my mind not near winning. Everyone was like Jokate Mwegelo is going to take it. I was like ‘let the girl take it, she’s beautiful and so are the rest of the girls’. End of the day one of us was going to take it. Rumor was so rife about Jokate taking the title and not only was I feeling bad but the rest of the contestants, ‘she adds.
Winning the title came us a big shock to Wema. She had never thought about it not even a single minute. She took it wholeheartedly, amidst cheers and applause. Off course not many people were happy after she was crowned as many had already had a premonition that Jokate would walk away with the grand prize.
Wema is also an academic giant. She successfully passed her O’level at Academic International where she got a merit and will be joining A-levels soon after handing over the crown. She will be going to Canada as her dad has already secured a university chance for her. ‘I was good in accounts and I will be pursuing Finance and Accounts. I will not mind going up to the Masters level. I have had a passion for this career, ‘she adds.
But Wema wouldn’t like to be a model without education. Strange it might sounds but she insists one has to be beautiful upstairs as well. She has even turned down radio and TV jobs with her own personal reasons. Vodacom charities have been keeping her busy but Wema’s eyes are still set on having her own charity. She has been involved with cellular company in their foundations around Tanzania. ‘We’ve done a lot and I’m still doing it. Later on I will solicit for sponsors and have my own charity as Wema because at the end of the day people will be looking at me, ‘she says.
Her future she says is bright, as she has set aside any marital plans. ‘I have to get sound education, good job and be financially independent. I don’t want to depend on my future husband. I want to have my own money as well, ‘she adds.

What you’re dying to know about Wema Sepetu
*She was the youngest of all the contestants of 2006/07 Miss Tanzania pageant.
*She wants to be an independent woman in future
**She has a boyfriend who’s not in showbiz(he's also a model)
*She doesn’t care about the rumors and lies in tabloids or in the media since she knows they’re fighting her and she best knows herself.
*Her dad really blessed and supported her idea of joining the modeling world and Miss Tanzania for that matter.
*Mange spotted her, encouraged her and nurtured her in the industry.
*She believes in winning and loosing in competition.
*She loves R n B (Love ballads and especially Celine Dion) and some little Bongo flava, which she insists must be sensible.
*Novels are her things while at home.
*She couldn’t sleep after winning the crown even after being given a suite in a 5-star hotel.
*When she was in Miss Kinondoni she did well in talent (Performed a song and danced)
*She’s not outgoing as you may think.

WHAT JUDGES LOOK FOR FROM CONTESTANTS OF THE MISS CROWN
Beauty
Intelligence
Ambassadorial
Charm
Talent

No comments: